Thursday, July 15, 2010
I decided to see if I could get some tomato plants to grow at work in the window. Here is a picture of 4 money maker (yes that is a real variety, not just a label I'm throwing on them) tomato plants that were grown from seed. They are in 8" deep pots...perhaps barely deep enough to get some tomatoes. They have already flowered but no fruit formation yet.
At home we have patio, cherry, and roma plants going. What will we do with all these tomatoes? There are tons of ideas!
1. They make delicious BAT sandwiches. BAT?? Yes..bacon, avocado, tomato. Of course, you could call it a TAB, ABT, or ATB sandwich, but why?
2. Salsa. Along with the tomatoes, we have tomatillos, cilantro, and serrano chiles growing.
3. Pasta or pizza sauce - fire roasting the tomatoes to add depth in flavor.
4. In eggs with lots of other veggies (garlic, onion, peppers, chiles, mushrooms) then wrapped in a tortilla with some salsa and queso.
5. Removed from the plant and shoved in my mouth as is. :)